Monday 12 December 2011

NO WINGS TO FLY


I was there, I'm sure I was.
Remember! Arena shows
With chords that shone and flew.
Words, people, places ran like wine not aging their eternal vine,
But energy drawn simply from the dew.

The music, like a bird in flight was free.

But now I frown
in darker parts of town.
Some things I wish I hadn’t seen
And places hadn’t been.

Dischords were played  by accident
In songs that suited not.
I remember what there was, but am drawn to look ahead,
Over there is a lordly cross.

On churchroof steeple glued,
Looking down on all but standing tall
and praised from bended knees.

From its nest it controls to show lordly superiority.

But it’s not a bird, and cannot fly
as fixed in place it sits,
So freedom jailed or songs that failed,

It still it has no wings to let it flee
to cresting, swirling breeze avail.

I want to fly as freedom does,
But with wisdom there's great cost.
A light was there, but I’m now aware,
Both flight and knowledge have been lost,

A life once lived, completely burned,

Like lives in a holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment